Our blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.kritiquekritics.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Kritique Kritics: Laurie becoming a Workshop Leader

Friday, November 23, 2007

Laurie becoming a Workshop Leader

I gulped. Me? A facilitator? But I was a shy writer. I couldn't lead a whole group. Besides, I was too busy. Between my full-time teaching job, feeding two hungry kids; one going through puberty, the other beyond, an artist husband whose career always seemed to need the good wife at his side, five chickens, one dog, a half acre of land that constantly needed weeding, and of course working on my new book there was no way I could take on any more.
Or could I? For months I woke up thinking about it? Maybe if...It was just twice a month.
Then I went to the Central Coast Writers' Conference at Cuesta College and heard Jay Asher speak. He told us about his own journey and the importance of making contacts. Of supporting your fellow writer along the way.
And I realized. For seven years I'd worked on the craft of novel writing but had not put as much energy into the business end of it. I hadn't pushed myself outside of my comfort zone. There was so much more I could do.
So I made the call. In a quivering voice I said, "I think I'd like to take you up on your offer."
And on Friday, October 12th I did it. I walked into Barnes & Noble, introduced myself to the assistant manager Monica Kong, and proceeded to set up the table. Then I waited with my fellow writer Debra Hinkle supportive at my side.
6:30 passed. 6:45. At 7:00 the two of us decided to share with eachother.
How did it go?
Well you'd have to ask Debra about that.

1 Comments:

Blogger Disco Mermaids said...

I'd love to attend your next B&N workshop. So let me know!

- Jay

October 31, 2007 at 3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home