Our blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.kritiquekritics.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Kritique Kritics: More thoughts on the Conference

Thursday, August 14, 2008

More thoughts on the Conference

During the SCBWI conference I had such ups and downs. One minute I was thrilled to be away from home around exciting people the next I was lonely for my family and just wanted a peaceful hug from my daughter. One minute I was confident in my writing while the next my self-esteem was in the toilet. But I did come away with a sobering epiphany: Art-World I is not even near ready to send to publishers. And I know why. It is still plot driven rather than character driven. I haven't been staying inside my character's skin. Instead I was trying to write exciting events or put pretty words on the page.
Not any more.
From now on I am going to look at every sentence as if it were in my character's mouth. All of the metaphors, descriptions, and feelings will come from him/her instead of Laurie.
It is time to do major surgery to Art-World.
Wish me luck.

1 Comments:

Blogger mousewords said...

That is such a monumental experience. I know you'll come up with an awesome result!

Good luck!

August 15, 2008 at 8:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home